Tuesday, June 5, 2012

It's All About the Attitude.

** One in a series of USAFit/Philly 2012 member profiles. Perki, our mascot, would like to get to know the members better.**

This week Perki interviewed Roy "Attitude of Gratitude" Kardon about walking, running and loving life.

Perki: How many years have you been with Phillyfit?
Roy: This is my 4th year.

Perki: And you were a coach for a few years, right?
Roy: I coached the amazing Purple People for 2010-2011

Perki: And now you are running!
Roy: Yes, but I will always be with the Purple People in spirit.


Perki: How, what and/or who started you on the road to training for distance?
Roy: In my early 20's I wanted to return to Boston and do the Boston Marathon. I completed my first run I trained for 3.9 miles to my fiance's (now my wife) and thought I would do it-it did not immediately work out. After 10 years of struggling with runners' knee and achilles tendon issues before the advent of sports medicine I gave up but always would try to come back. Then in 2006 I broke a rib in a cycling acccident and was forced to walk for a work out. A year and a half later a friend told me I could walk in running races and on May 4, 2008 I did my first the Broad Street Run. The next Broad Street Run I discovered Philly Fit who said they could train me to walk a marathon. The rest is one joyous and amazing history.

Perki: What is your motivation?
Roy: My passion for it. I really have no right to be here. I'm almost 61. I'm not supposed to still be able to do this. I can't believe I have this awesome gift. I can do things. I love seeing people happy. I'm addicted to that.

Perki: What has been your hardest lesson to date?
Roy: Sometimes you have to take it easy.

Perki: Tell us about a EUREKA moment!
Roy: November 22, 2009. I had just passed mile 25 and the announcer (in my head) said "38 years of defeat and frustration are ending. Let the celebration begin. Roy Kardon, you ARE a marathoner".

Perki: Tell me about "Attitude of Gratitude"
Roy: I want to say how grateful I am to be able to do this. I won't do a race without that on my shirt.

Perki: Tell me about your work with the American Cancer Society
Roy: It started because I was trying to impress my son, Matt. In 2001 we did the ACS Bike-a-thon together. In 2002 they asked me to serve on the committee and here I am. Matt has since stopped participating but I'm still there.

Perki: Lately you've worked with the ACS Determination group. In fact, you are the co-chair of the Philadelphia Chapter. Tell me what that is all about.
Roy: Determination is a program that supports athletes who are raising money to fight cancer. At specific events we work to give them a special experience during race week and on race day. We are the preferred charity for the Broad Street Run and one of many charities for the Rock N Roll Philly Half and the Philly Marathon.

Perki: What else would you like folks to know about Determination.
Roy: It's a life changing experience. You are empowered against a disease that torments all of us.

Perki: Ok, final questions. What is your favorite sound in training?
Roy: Cheering.

Perki: What is your least favorite sound in training?
Roy: The sirens from an ambulance

Perki:What is your favorite workout?
Roy: Speed intervals

Perki: What is your least favorite workout?
Roy: The one that I'm rushing to do because something else has to get done.

Perki: If you could spend a day with any athlete present or past, who would it be and why?
Roy
"Attitude of Gratitude"
Kardon
Having Fun
Roy: Tommy McDonald. He is a hall of fame reciever for the Eagles. He was my idol growing up. He has fun, goofs around. At his induction into the hall of fame he danced. I like to have fun and he has a lot of fun.

Perki: When it comes to your training or racing what would you love to hear someone say to or about you?
Roy: You inspired me!

1 comment:

  1. Roy you are an inspiration to all of us. You always have a smile on your face and you're cheering for everyone no matter if they're walking, running or just standing around. Your enthusiasm is contagious. Can't wait to hear what event you'll be doing next. No man can sport a tutu as well as you can. -Lyn Joyce

    ReplyDelete