Monday, August 6, 2012

Lessons from a First Time Marathoner

This week Perki interviewed Melanie Caparro. Mel is in her second year with Phillyfit.

PERKI: How, what and/or who started you on the road to training for distance?
Mel: I’ve always wanted to run a long distance race, but wasn’t 100% confident my body could handle it. I heard the Broad Street 10 miler was a great start for first timers.  In 2010, I decided to sign up for the race and figured it would help me lose weight and tone up for my upcoming October wedding.  After completing the Broad Street, there was no turning back.  I signed up for the November 2010 Philadelphia Half Marathon.

P:What is your motivation?
M:Challenging myself physically and mentally on runs, staying in shape, the “runner’s high” feeling, and being able to splurge on food.  I love food!

P:What has been your hardest lesson to date?
M:I’ve learned not to be too hard on myself if I didn’t feel as if I had the best race or training run.  Instead, I try to learn from it and move forward.

P:Tell us about a EUREKA! moment.
M:This year, when I was training for the Valley Forge Revolutionary Run, I ran the VF loop a couple times a week for almost 2 months. I felt my legs getting stronger from the hills. My runs on flat surfaces were feeling easier.  I realized then how important it was to include hills in my training.

P: You mentioned that you run for food. What is your favorite pre-race or pre- long run meal?
M: It used to be pasta. But now it’s mashed potatoes and fries. I’ll order that on the side of my entrĂ©e.
P: Doesn’t that get you strange looks from the server?
M: Yes. I just tell them I have a long run the next day.

P: What is your favorite post-race or post-long run meal?
M: I go straight for the fast food. My favorite is Five Guys. I’ll order a cheeseburger, a hot dog and fries. Although, I plan on making healthier choices because training for a marathon doesn’t give me the right to over splurge. I should be eating better post recovery meals!

P: In your first marathon – Philly 2011 – did you have a plan or a strategy?
M: I had a goal of 5.5 hours. I planned to do the first half at 12 to 12.5 minute miles and pick up the pace on the second half. But it didn’t work out. At mile 18 I hit the wall. There were so many dead stretches and all I wanted to do was cry but I didn’t want to waste energy crying. Then around mile 23 I saw Sherry (Cannan). She stayed with me, encouraged me, offered me her knee brace even. I found out later that she came back for me. She hadn’t even crossed the finish line herself! If it wasn’t for her, my negative thoughts might’ve worsened adding to my struggle for the rest of the race.

P: What about the marathon did you feel the most prepared for?
M: I think the 6 month training program prepared me to expect to finish; to know that I could.

P: You are going to run the New York City marathon this year. Is there a special reason for that? What are you looking forward to there?
M: I was born and raised in Northern New Jersey. The New York marathon was always on my bucket list. I never thought I could run one though. After last year I realized I can do this; I can do another one. So I entered the lottery and I got it in. It’s the biggest marathon; over 40,000 people. I’m hoping to PR, but mainly to enjoy the race.  The energy in NYC on race day is supposed to be awesome!

P: You and Aimee Reif plan a 30 mile training run before your respective fall marathons. Is there an ultra in your future?
M: I spoke to Pete about that – the 30 mile run – and he said with only 8 weeks to go we’d be better doing 24 so that’s what we are going to do.
P: Well if anyone would know it would be Pete. Still, you were planning a 30 miler. Is there an ultra in your future?
M: Actually there is. I’d been thinking about it and then one day I get this random text from Aimee asking me if I would consider doing a 50 miler with her next year. I said YES! She must have been reading my mind.

P: What advice do you have for our first time marathoners this year?
M: Do not focus on your time. The coaches told me not to but I was only semi listening. You should just go out and enjoy the experience and finish. That makes it more fun. Also, when fueling for the run, eat at regular intervals. Don’t wait until you feel hungry. It works better if you fuel on a regular basis.

P:What is your favorite sound in training?
M:Laughter during our training runs.

P:What is your least favorite sound in training?
M:When I breathe heavy. If the humidity is bad or if I’m struggling a bit, I tend to breathe heavy.

P:What is your favorite workout?
M:Hill workouts.

P:What is your least favorite workout?
M:Speed workouts.

P:If you could spend a day with any athlete present or past, who would it be? Why?
M:I would love to meet Nadia Comaneci.  Growing up, I wanted to be a gymnast and admired Nadia’s discipline and strength.  I would watch her biographical movie “Nadia” numerous times a day when I was kid.

P:When it comes to your training or racing what would you love to hear someone say to or about you?
M:I provide encouragement, am down to earth, keep it real, and add humor to training runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment