Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Neat Way to See the Country

PERKI: How many years have you been with Phillyfit?
JOHN CARRE: 2012 is my 3rd year with Phillyfit and first as Yellow Coach.

P: How, what and/or who started you on the road to training for distance?
J: I was Christmas shopping in December 2009 and saw the book “Born to Run”. I purchased it for myself. I started reading it and couldn’t put it down. I realized I could run and really enjoy it.

P: What is your motivation?
J: To be physically fit and to challenge myself.

P: What has been your hardest lesson to date?
J: Discovering that I can’t get up and run forever. There are realities to age. Limits.



P: Tell us about a EUREKA! moment.
J: It was in my first season with Phillyfit. I ran the Rock n Roll (PDR) Half in September. I had no time goal. I surprised myself by finishing in 2:02. I was very pleased and realized that the Phillyfit training sure works.

P: Tell me about the cross country bike ride. How did that come about and when was it.
J: I read an article about an older man – in his 60’s I think – who had ridden across the country. I thought that was a neat way to see the country. So after graduating from college in 1973 I decided I would ride cross country before settling down into work.

P: How long did it take?
J: It took 68 days. 4500 miles. I had specific things I wanted to see.  Mammoth Cave, Mississippi River, the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore. Yellowstone was a big target. And I wanted to see the Pacific Ocean. At the end I took the ferry up to Victoria British Columbia then back to Seattle and took the train home to Philadelphia.

P: Amtrak. The Empire Builder?
J: Yes.

P: Did you train for this?
J: Well, I rode from home (Havertown at the time) to Barnegat Light and back in early June 1974. I came home with pain in my knee so I had to wait a few weeks before taking off.

P: Who did you travel with?
J: I travelled alone. Most groups I heard about where travelling west to east. WITH the prevailing winds.

Along the way I came upon groups of riders. And that’s when I realized it was ok to do this alone – maybe even better. One group of 4 that I spent some time with…They were always arguing about decisions.

P: What was the hardest thing about it?
J: Not turning around on rainy, windy miserable days. In Iowa and South Dakota there wasn’t much but wind and cornfields. And it didn’t help when I called home and Mom says “Haven’t you gone far enough”.

Another hard thing was riding the switchbacks through Appalachian Mountains.

P: What was the most amazing thing that happened?
J: The big horn mountains. People told me this would be tough. So that morning I had the biggest breakfast I could get. Steak, eggs the works. I biked to the top (about 10,000 feet elevation). It was so peaceful and relaxing. I could see for 100’s of miles. And then I got to coast downhill for 13 miles. (Big smile)

P: Where did you sleep?
J: I had panniers and a backpacking tent. I camped mostly. State parks and such. In Shenandoah National Park I had to tell them when I was coming and they assigned me a spot. I had to find the miler marker and pull off the road out of sight. Sometimes I was invited to stay in people’s homes and every so often I went to a motel when I really wanted to clean up.

In South Dakota I ran into a group of motorcyclists. There is a big gathering in Sturgis, SD every year. I met them on I-90 and we slept under the overpass that night.

P: What else would you like to tell us? 
J: I learned a lot on this trip. Like training for the marathon I learned how far I could push myself. The Appalachian Mountain experience prepared me for the ride in the Big Horn Mountains.

I learned that when you are not sure which way to go it really is a good idea to stop and figure it out. Otherwise you go a distance out of the way and have to backtrack.

I also learned that rest and recuperation are necessary. I had to stop for a few days in Iowa or South Dakota. My body needed rest.

P: Anything else?
J: I wonder what it would be like to do this trip today. With all the technology available now it would be a different experience.

P: Ok. Now for the final questions… What is your favorite sound in training?
J: The hustle and bustle of cheering near the finish line. About a month ago I ran in the King of Prussia 10 miler. I created my own duathalon. I biked to the race. Ran the race. And Biked home. The run portion wore me out. It was the first time I felt so wiped out at the end of a race. The cheering crowds near the end pulled me through.

P: What is your least favorite sound in training?
J: Thunder. We don’t run in thunder and lightning.

P: What is your favorite workout?
J: Hills. Biking or Running. I like the satisfaction and challenge of reaching the top. And if I’m biking the downhill coast after I get there.

P: What is your least favorite workout?
J: Riding my bike against the wind. It’s very draining. More so than running against the wind.

P: If you could spend a day with any athlete present or past, who would it be? Why?
J: (laughs) I’m probably showing my age now. It’s Pele the soccer star. I just remember how he made the game of soccer look fun and easy.

P: When it comes to your training or racing what would you love to hear someone say to or about you?
J: I’d love to get to the point where people say “His running looks effortless and makes it easier for those around him. I really want to run further with less effort. I try to make sure I’m always smiling from beginning to end. I don’t want any photos of my grimacing.

1 comment:

  1. John I'm so impressed that you cycled across the country self contained. Your story is inspiring. -Lyn Joyce

    ReplyDelete