Monday, April 11, 2011

NO LONGER WALKING ALONE

Proud Coaching Moment
My name is Roy Attitude of Gratitude. In December 2007 a chance meeting/discussion with a friend I found out I could do something I always wanted to do but could not-be in a long distance running race by walking. My body made it very clear to me not to run. My first race was the 10 mile Blue Cross Broad Street Run. I did two (2) more half marathons The ING Rock N Roll and Philadelphia Half Marathon and felt great but unfulfilled-no one to walk with at my speed and being alone in a crowd of runners as well as knowing I could not do the ultimate-finish a marathon.

I searched all over for a group that would train walkers to do a marathon and finally at The Blue Cross Broad Street Run found Philly Fit. From my first email about walking a marathon to crossing the finish line this group welcomed me as a team mate and friend. On race day we met before during the race (including some moments I really neeeded a friend!) and celebrated together. Now a veteran and coach I can tell you my two favorite moments out of many were the group greeting a very slow participant with such joy and seeing the look in their face as a finisher! This past Philadelphia Marathon I welcomed a fellow walker I had the privilege of coaching with a hug and medal. I see an amazing picture of that joyous moment in an office we both visit.

It may see strange that my best moments are other people crossing the finish line. But when you join Philly Fit you are part of a community of athletes and friends there for you. You will want to be there for them and forget about being alone out there. Roy Attitude of Gratitude Walking Coach Philly Fit

No comments:

Post a Comment